When: 9th February 2019 2pm
Where: Meet at Tavistock Visitor Information Centre
Description: In 1752 Tavistock parish offered some 14 licensed public houses. By 1860 the number had risen to 29. Increasing magisterial control of public houses then resulted in numbers falling steadily to 14 houses in 1920 and a gradual decline to nine in 2010, six of which are still serving customers in the town centre today.
In the late eighteenth century Tavistock’s first common brewer opened in Market St followed by one in Brook Street in 1853. By 1930 both had closed.
This walk will identify past pubs and breweries and discuss their place in Tavistock’s history. Whilst the temptation to sample the offerings of all today’s pubs will have to be resisted, the tour will end at one of the town’s nineteenth century establishments – which will be open for the thirsty and curious.
The walk will be approximately 90 minutes over about 1 mile.
Tickets cost £5 per person (accompanied under-16s free) and can be bought on the day or in advance at the Tavistock Visitor Information Centre. They can also be booked online through Tavistock Heritage Trust website: https://www.heritageintavistock.org/events