With the beautiful weather we have to look forward to why not take advantage of some of our beautiful surroundings. Whether it’s a leisurely family picnic by a river or a slightly more strenuous walk up to one of our Historic churches standing at 1,110 feet above sea level. Tavistock has a wealth of hotspots that are just a stones throw away. I’ve listed some favourites here:
1. Tavistock meadows – not quite so secret but beautiful none the less, with a wonderful playpark, a skate park, a river and a canal the children will not be disappointed. In spring the park boasts a carpet of beautiful crocuses that simply propel you into the summer mood.
2. Double waters – with a magical river meandering through the woodland, you’d be forgiven for thinking you were in a magical land far away.. A great place to swim and paddle and enjoy an undisturbed picnic
3. Pennycome quick – this little gem is great for an evening picnic, a little river to paddle in and an area of flat ground, this area is great for children. With the Dartmoor ponies roaming you may be fortunate enough to have a few friendly visitors.
4. Pork Hill – for a really breathtaking view of Tavistock a visit to Pork Hill is a must. With panoramic views across Tavistock and Dartmoor this site is a regular haunt for visitors and locals alike, with the added bonus of an ice cream van selling local made ice cream.
5. Brentor Church – This area of outstanding beauty is really worth the climb, set above the tor is a 12th century church, the story as to how the church came to be is a must read, why not take a climb and enjoy this magical place that is surrounded by myths and legends.