Tavistock is on the A386 from Plymouth to Okehampton, the B3357 from Princetown and the A390 into Cornwall.
Tavistock is also served by various bus routes:
- Stage Coach 1: from Plymouth via Yelverton
- CityBus 79/79A: from Callington via Gunnislake & Calstock
- 98: from Yelverton via Princetown
- Target Travel 87/87A: Bere Ferrers/Bere Alston to Tavistock
- Target Travel 98: Yelverton to Tavistock
- Dartline 118: from Okehampton via Mary Tavy & Lydford
- Tavistock Country Bus runs a seasonal service to Torquay, Paignton, Dawlish or Barnstaple (for details visit http://tavistockcountrybus.co.uk )
Regular trains run to Plymouth from London and Elsewhere (a change in Bristol may be needed). The nearest station is 1 Gunnislake station, which is on the Tamar Valley branch line from Plymouth. It is around 4.5 miles (6 km) from Tavistock, with direct buses between them.